Thursday, November 5, 2009

Trinity and the Violin

Susan says: Have you seen the movie "The Matrix" where Trinity and Neo are trapped on the top of this building with nothing but a helicopter to escape with and Trinity dials home and says "I need the program to fly this helicopter" and they download it in about 7 seconds and bam, she can fly the helicopter and they are saved?
Ok, so picture this: When I was just a little kid, a toddler really, I had this teddy bear. My favorite teddy bear; it was yellow with pink and green and white flowers on its belly and it had a wind up music box in it that played Brahms Lullaby. I lost it somehow. I don't know how. I loved it so much, that my mom bought me a new one, but it was never really the same and I don't even remember if the new one had a music box, but the feel of the old teddy and the sound of that lullaby tinkling away to me every night as I went to sleep is indelible in my brain. It engenders such a feeling of nostalgia so as to lapse me into melancholy over my lost bear. But in a good way. In the way that one pines for a memory that is both dear and sad; dear because it was a lovely time and sad because it is gone forever.
Fast forward to 1973. Third grade with my favorite teacher in the world, Mrs. Moody. When you reached third grade, you were allowed to take an instrument and the school system provided lessons, so as to build their little orchestra. I chose the violin. My violin teacher, a man (Mr. Somebody with red wavy hair and a decidedly evil beak nose) was not the lovely Ms. Honeychurch I had hoped for. He rubbed me the wrong way ergo my violin lessons lasted only 2 months before I began to ditch.
Right. So, fast forward again to 2009. I am in the middle of a treatment with a client who has very graciously provided the music. A collection of melodies that soothe the savage beast. Among them - yes, of course, was Brahms Lullaby. This time, it was played on the lonely violin, with a humble piano back up. It was lucid and graceful and even haunting (played as it was on his Ipod with a Bose speaker...) and it transported me immediately back to my childhood, in my bedroom, on the top bunk, with my old teddy tinkling away with his music box voice as I drifted off. I had not heard the lullaby in years, and certainly not played so
beautifully - a simple violin solo. It nearly brought me to tears. It was all I could do to refrain from bursting into humming with my client right there on the table.
And it was at that moment that Trinity downloaded the "how to play Brahms Lullaby on the violin" program into my brain (thank you, Trinity).
Only problem - no violin. So in typical Intentional Living convention, dear Readers, as I surfed on Amazon one sleepless night, I impetuously purchased a violin. I thought to myself, "why not?" And I didn't have to ask my mom. (I am so loving being grown up!!!) I just did it. And I am going to be able to play it. You can wait for the video. I will keep you posted...

4 comments:

  1. So cool how pieces of ourselves come back to us ... how amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fortuitous that you are able to act on your thoughts. So now I understand "why the violin ?"

    As you know "The Matrix" is one of my top 10 movies. However, my favorite scene is where Neo dodges bullets in "slo mo".

    Keep blogging, I like reading you thoughts.

    PS. Where is Jenn's blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful...

    Maybe you can add speakers to your blog when you learn how to play...

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Rick - It's a CO-Blog - so Jenn's and my stories alternate - just read down the blog - you will see some that say "Susan says" and some that say "Jennifer says".
    Glad you enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete